Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Art of Letting Go: In honor of new life ventures


There comes a time for every parent to let go of each precious child. Symbolically, the act of letting go says to the world, "I have raised this human being to the best of my ability."

I have rocked him gently in my arms until he fell asleep, I have wiped his tears, bandaged his skinned knees, and held his hand when he was sick or afraid. When I was afraid, I held him close. I stayed by his side whenever he needed someone to lean against. I defended him when others turned against him. I taught him about the words of life, and held him accountable when he veered too close to shaky ground. When he asked for space, I gave it reluctantly, when he needed comfort, I provided it gladly. I pushed, cajoled, lectured, congratulated, cautioned, praised, scolded and threw up my hands in exasperation when I didn't understand, and many times I even had to say no.


All of these things I have done to help mold and shape him into the godly man that others see today. Letting go says to him, "I believe in you; I trust you; and even though I will never be ready, you are. You are no longer a boy, you are a man."


Letting go is not the same thing as cutting the apron strings. For although life can remove your child temporarily from your home, you can never cut him out of your heart. No matter where he is in the world, your heart beats for him the same as if he were home. And when he comes home, for more than likely he will, there will always be a place for him. A place for him to call home.




No comments:

Post a Comment