Sunday, July 10, 2011

Start Something New

I wonder how many adults of a mature age (over 40) are starting something new this year. I've always heard that it is more difficult to change the older you get, yet after the age of 40, there is a strange pull to new and exciting opportunities.  Last year, for instance I taught myself how to knit. I have knitted some special gifts for friends and family and have been able to relieve stress while I do it.

Rest assured, my post has nothing to do with knitting. Starting a new hobby is fun and interesting and can be a challenge, but it isn't a major life change; and therefore not a threat to my social and/or emotional well-being.  In the last few years, many of my friends, victims of a poor economy, have gone through major life changes out of necessity not from a mid-life crisis. Everyone seems to be affected in some way whether it's a loss of a job or home, shrinking 401K, or just more stress as we all try to ride it out. 

Starting over during a shaky economy is a big enough topic to make it to the big screen as seen in the Tom Hanks' movie "Larry Crowne." Hanks portrays a middle aged salesman fired because he didn't go to college. Though his circumstances seem grim, he decides to turn his life around by enrolling in a community college.  What could have been a pessimistic look at the plight of Middle Class America, instead becomes a bittersweet love story that traces one man's triumphant journey through the unknown.  Hanks' role as Larry Crown is reminiscent of Josh in the movie "Big" with his childlike enthusiasm for every new experience that he encounters.  Larry Crowne demonstrates a legitimate response to starting over even when it is forced on us.

We must face the reality that life is hard and and downright scary at times.  When our circumstances are overwhelming and it becomes necessary to start over, we can take a positive approach to the changes that are inevitable.  Drown in self-pity or start something new?  We have a choice about how we deal with crises.  We can view each difficulty as an adventure.


Soon all memories will depart,
Of a past left well behind.
I will get off to a new start,
With the best of mankind. 

from "A New Start" by Bernard Shaw

1 comment:

  1. Does obtaining my Masters degree after 40 count? I’m not sure, but I find myself not so much trying to dive into something new, but instead hang on to the stuff I used to do better. Of course I’m nearly 50 and the 40’s pretty much sucked the life out of me, but yeah… How do we move forward into new and exciting things? What would you REALLY like to do? & What would you do if money were not an issue?

    ReplyDelete